Monday, March 22, 2010

Development Case Study Chapter 4

1. From a social development standpoint, how might we explain Laura's preoccupation with her appearance? In particular, consider this statement by Laura: "I don't want people to think I'm a geek!" Include information from Erikson's theory and social development in general in your response.

A: Laura’s preoccupation with her appearance has a lot to do with the fact that she is trying to find herself. She is trying to define herself. According to Erikson’s theory a High School Crisis: Identity versus Role Confusion, Laura is going through the stage where she asks questions such as Who am I? What will I do with my life? Laura’s preoccupation with her appearance says that she has not found a sense of self confidence. It is very possible that Laura is having an identity crisis. This could mean she is confused about who she wants to become and what she wants to do with her life. Another idea is that Laura struggles with her self-esteem. She is putting so much of her energy into how she looks. In the book it says, “Students with higher self-esteem are more likely to succeed in school, have more positive attitudes toward school.” In the scenario Laura does not put school as a priority. For example, she lingers throughout the halls for fifteen minutes and often times it’s because her beauty bathroom visits. I believe that it is possible for Laura to gain self-confidence and work through this situation. (It interesting because my friend in high school was almost identical to Laura. She was always in the bathroom making sure she looked good. The sad part of this story is my friend didn’t graduate.) I want to help students like the teachers have in the scenario.


2.In suggesting that Laura join the debating class, Ms. Watkins is hoping to pique an interest in classroom subject matter by capitalizing on Laura's desire to be the center of attention. What two other strategies might the school faculty use to motivate students who seem to be more interested in social matters than in academic pursuits?

A: The first example I thought about is students who are very energetic, who are witty and say things on the stop. (For example, the class clown) This student could be guided to the drama program and performing arts. Or as a teacher when given book project opportunities in my English class, I would recommend she or he put on a play with other students in the class. Students who are more interested in social matters should be given opportunities in learning to be social. If they like to talk to their peers let them read books and discuss them in groups. Give them opportunities to talk but guide their conversation staying close by ensuring they are discussing the task at hand. Overall, I think it is important to encourage students to do things they like. If I noticed a student who was really good at reading and writing I could say, “You should join the writing team.” Or a student who is really good at math I could say, “You should join the math squad.” Let students listen to daily announcements and encourage them to do social academic things.

3. From the perspective of Kohlberg's theory, in which stage of moral development is Laura? Justify your response. How might Mr. Marcalescu help Laura to advance her moral reasoning?

A: I want to put Laura into the Preconventional Morality. First a general definition of this stage says, “Morality in Kohlberg’s first level is determined by the consequences of an action rather than by the inherent goodness or badness of the action.” I feel that Laura is looking at the situation and determining or analyzing it based on its consequences. She is seeing the consequences of banning gasoline as positive and she is not seeing the “inherent goodness or badness of the action.” Overall, I feel that Laura shows “no internalization of moral values.” I would say she is on the right track but needs to see the larger picture. I feel I could not put her in conventional morality because Laura does not abide by rules that are essentially the standards of others. I do not believe that her ideas are the standards of others.
In the book it suggests that asking students about moral issues will promote their moral growth. I agree. I feel that in my classroom I could have my students write a one page paper about a moral dilemma. I want my students to think about controversial topics and moral issues. I will have many class discussions on such topics.

4. In what ways might a debating class contribute to students' cognitive, linguistic, social, and moral development?

A: Students in a debating class will benefit cognitively because they are going to experience cognitive conflict. (Conflict about their own thinking) They are going to question what they believe in. Students will benefit linguistically because they are going to have to get up in front of their peers and tell their opinion. This can be the hardest thing for young teenagers and I know because I was one once who was fearful of public speaking. Students in a debating class will have many opportunities to use language and especially persuasive language. I know that there will be a benefit socially for students in a debating class. This same idea has happened to me. I have had opportunities to get up in front of my peers and teach. It has given me confidence. I wish that I would have had opportunities to gain this confidence sooner such as in a debating class in high school. Students in a debating class will gain confidence and feel they can accomplish other goals. One accomplishment leads to another one. Therefore, students with confidence will be more influenced to engage in social activities with their peers. Lastly, I feel students in a debating class will influence student’s moral development because students are at an age of exploring issues. They will be able to talk aloud about issues that they may at some point face in their life. They will be able to gain a perspective about moral issues that they never thought about before.

No comments:

Post a Comment